[pct-l] Trail Running Shoes

Oliphant, Matthew moliphant at asymtek.com
Fri Feb 20 16:51:40 CST 2009

Given this list's recent proclivity to flame, I am somewhat hesitant to
ask the following question but I will anyways:

For those hikers who have used trail running shoes, for how much of the
hike are they feasible (with respect to snow/slush and days of
unrelenting rain)?

BACKGROUND: I am highly susceptible to back-of-heal blisters and have
found trail running shoes to be my fair weather hiking salvation.  On
the JMT, San Diego "desert", and several trips to San Jacinto I used
Vasque trail running shoes and did not have a single problem other than
their rapid wear characteristics.  No hot spots, no blisters, no
nothing.  I was overjoyed to find that they worked so well (with Injinji
toe socks and smartwool outters) given that I went through many
iterations of socks,leather and cloth boots, and first aid methods to
address crippling blisters.

I am deeply concerned with being able to find shoe alternatives for
inclimate weather.  Is it crazy to consider wearing trail running shoes
in the snow?

Matthew