[pct-l] burn area trail condition

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Thu Feb 19 08:24:32 CST 2009

>> I'm assuming the closed area north of Etna Summit is in tip-top shape,
>> as the fire was never anywhere near the PCT.
>
> I hiked it the day after it reopened, and, you're right, the fire never
> touched it.
>
> monty

Later in the season, however, the Panther Fire blew up and burnt an additional 20,000
acres in a single day - extending 5 miles from the previous day's burn boundary...
Though the PCT wasn't officially closed, it did get to the trail and threatened both a sobo hiker and the PCT...  Three days of rain immediately after knocked the fire down...
See Deems' October '08 post, http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2008-October/020476.html regarding the 'close call'...

The Lyon's Pride trail crew will be working 5/29/09 - 6/5/09 up along Grider Creek, then
7/1 - 7/8/09 based at Paradise Lake...  The northern section of the Marbles PCT should be
in good shape for the class of '09 thrus - a big "thank you" to Lyon's Pride crew (and the
Backcountry Horsemen of California, Top of the State Unit)...

Happy trails!!!
Jim / PITA