[pct-l] Trail Journals

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Wed Feb 18 10:33:59 CST 2009

Wes Rose wrote:
> Good trail journals all have similar qualities: 1.  Posted on
> Postholer.com  (wwwaaaaayyyy faster than trialjournals.com)

I disagree. I find the page layout on Postholer difficult to read and
navigate. TrailJournals is MUCH better for the reader. (Though I have
been told that Postholer is easier for the writer. I'm not thrilled
about TrailJournal's interface for the writer.)

> 2.  consistent entries - daily being the ultimate

Yes.

> 3.  Accurate identification of daily camp site location

This is not important to the reader who is not familiar with the area. I
like to know how far you hiked, and how far you are from familiar points
along the trail, but knowing that you are 4.573 miles north of XYZ creek
isn't important to me if I don't know where XYZ creek is.

> 4.  Personal highlights, insights, special events, hardships, etc.

Absolutely. This is what makes a journal.

> 5.  Temperature high and low

Makes no difference to me as a reader, unless they are part of the
highlights of the trip.

> 6.  Hours hiked or start/stop times

Nice, but not always necessary.

> 7.  Resupply point info - planned and unplanned

Yes.

> 8.  Gear reviews - periodic reviews of what works and what is sent
> home.

I don't need to see them in the day to day text, unless a piece of gear
plays a role in the personal events. You can save your gear reviews for
the end of the trip.

> 9.  All the other personal stuff that makes the journal unique

Yup. A good writing style and sense of humor also help.