[pct-l] some lodging and camping info...

patti kulesz peprmintpati88 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 17 15:10:18 CST 2009

Big Bear:

There is a couple in Big Bear, just off the trail who are opening their homes, yes homes to all thru hikers. This is the info he gave me:

for PCT hikers it's only $10 a night to cover cleaning.  No website.
 We don't normally rent rooms; this is just for hikers as kindred
spirits.  Price includes showers, laundry, phone, maildrop and use of kitchen.

Anyway, you'd be more than comfortable.  We've got three
homes on five acres, about a mile west of the PCT (GoogleMap 1071 G
Lane, 92314).  You'd have your choice of a fully renovated cabin that
was built in 1870, or a Swiss chalet built 100 years later.

Property is close to public bus line, and in the past we've held supplies sent by U.S. Mail.  Not a problem.

Phone #'s 951-217-6464.
Address if you want to send supplies:

PO Box 32691065 & 1071 G LaneBig Bear City, CA 92314
*** Must include PO Box for U.S. Mail. ***
call him about two days in advance if you can to let him know ur coming!

He's on the road alot, he says, but his wife and daughter are usually there. It probly won't be the same party as at the Hostel but hey the houses sound pretty sweeeeeet! Come on a Swiss Chalet..that's what I'm talking about! I checked out the bus line and it goes right to the end of his street into town for resupply and whatever else u might need as well. Same bus that goes to the hostel.

Tehachapi

hey y'all me and Halfmile checked out Tehachapi this weekend and got some great info on that town. I think he's making a map of the town too with all the resupply, lodging, PO and munchie stops...corrrect me if I'm wrong on that plz Lon.

We stayed at this cute little motel called Ranch Motel at 507 So Curry Street about 2-3 blocks from the main road in town. Make sure not to confuse it with the Ranch HOUSE Motel on Tehachapi...not the same place! Anyways, the girl who runs the place is really nice, her name is Kim...there is a register book there. Clean, close to lots of stuff, hot showers, she even turned on our heat for us before we got back from dinner...it was awesome! The phone there is 661-822-4283 and she said for us PCT hikers...she charged $43.00 for two people and then $4.00 per person after that. Sorry Dawn forgot to ask about dogs, but she has one living there so I'm sure she wouldn't mind. She also said if they are not busy she will do some laundry for us. There is fresh clean towels and soap left for u in the bathroom, microwave and mini fridge, TV, clean sheets. There is also a feed store right next door for anyone who has a pet.

Also got a # for p/u and drop off to trail head. I just talked to a lovely woman named Ann Marie who is the chairman of the Tehachapi Trail Angels (she wanted me to tell y'all that, hehe) and she confirmed this info about the p/u and dropoff. She was on her way out the door so I forgot to ask which trailhead but I don't think it matters either way, I believe they are both the same distance from town, just make sure u verify that with them when u call. Anyways, Ann Marie and George Novinger are the chairheads, their # is 661-822-5379. George is at the Apple Shed (yummy food) alot and that # is 661-823-8333. Ann Marie says that they have a bout 10 others that help out so there should be plenty of people to do us this wonderful favor!

There is a Kmart, Albertsons and Walgreen's not too far down the road from the Apple Shed and Ranch Motel...easy walking distance. Also right behind the Kmart is a Cold Stone ice Cream and Starbucks...mmmmm...two pleasures in one place...heaven!

Crater Lakes:

Just south of Crater Lakes is a place in Klamath, called Jo's Motel and Campground. The charge for the camp is only $5.oo per person, another $5.00 for pets according to the website (not sure if that is for us hikers as well) http://www.josmotel.com/id7.html
free showers!!! and they have an organic grocery store. The campground is about 8 miles off the trail but only a few miles to the TH. They can come pick us up if they are not terribly busy, FOR FREE, at the TH if we stay at the camp. They also will DELIVER groceries to you at the TH for a $5.00 charge. (they seem to like that # for some reason, LOL). SUCH A DEAL!

Hope this helps some of y'all...I know it's been a big help to me to have all this info ahead of time!