[pct-l] Map and Guide feedback request

Erik The Black erik at eriktheblack.com
Mon Feb 16 22:12:45 CST 2009

Hi Stephen,

I'm hard at work putting the final touches on the Pacific Crest Trail Atlas
2nd Edition for this year's hikers. The PCT Atlas is a set of five
lightweight guidebooks featuring full-color maps for the entire PCT, town
maps, elevation profiles, data table, water sources, and basically
everything a long distance hiker could ask for in the way of navigation
info.

The difference between the PCT Atlas the Wilderness Press guidebooks is that
the WP guides use long written paragraphs to describe the trail and the
Atlas uses a more visual approach. If you are the kind of person who likes
to read a lot, you will want to get the WP books. If you are the kind of
person who likes to look at pictures, the Atlas should better suit your
needs.

You are correct that Yogi's book is not a navigation book, but I still
highly recommend it. There is no better book for pre-hike planning and
resupply strategy than Yogi's book. If you combine it with the PCT Atlas you
will not need anything else.

The section you are planning from VVR to Timberline, OR is covered in PCT
Atlas Volumes 2, 3 and 4, which covers the PCT in Central California,
Northern California and Oregon.

Volumes 1 and 2 will begin shipping in March or early April and Volumes 3,4
and 5 in June. I began accepting pre orders a month ago and about half of
this year's thru hikers have already ordered their copies.

If you have any questions, feel free to email me. You can also go to my
website and download a free chapter that you can print out on your home
computer. In my opinion a picture is worth a thousand words, and the free
chapter shows what the PCT Atlas is all about way better than I could ever
explain it.

Here is the link:

http://www.pctatlas.com

Happy Trails!
Erik The Black
Author & Publisher
Pacific Crest Trail Atlas

I haven't purchased any guide literature or maps yet for the long section I
am planning.  VVR to Timberline OR.
I read a couple reviews on the basic Pacific Crest Trail books and all
suggest rather dated material.  Also don't see the new PCT maps covering
N.Cal that I would like to have.  I know nothing of Yogi's book, but am
under the impression it is more orientated towards towns and services
available along the way.  I'd like to know what others think so Idon't have
tobuy a bunch of stuff and pick through it if it can be avoided.  I have
Jardine's book from back in the day which I have been using to set basic
itenerary for myself and pick my resupplies.  I'm familliar with the Sierra
through to Sonora Pass, and those sections I have not hiked I have maps for.
It's from there north I'd like to read up on and I understand there are some
dry stretches besides Hat Creek Rim I need to be prepared for.
So I'd just like hear some feedback from those familliar with what's out
there.
Resupply points I have been to or used are VVR, Tuolumne, Sierra City, Old
Station, Burney Falls store.
Thanks,
Stephen