[pct-l] Tents....I know, I know, beating a dead horse

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 12 20:19:43 CST 2009

Uh, how much star graizing can one do sleeping?  I've been thinking
tart/tent for a while, but I like my Mobasa net that I hang over my poles or
with string from trees etc...  This gives me a nice bug free room that I can
rig my tarp over.  If it's raining as it was in the Sierra on a couple
outings this last season, I rig the tarp first and the net underneath after
cooking a meal.  But this system seems fine for my more relaxed photo
outings when I try to get to a location early enough to rest a bit after
hauling camera gear.  I'm not so sure about wanting to do too much rigging
after a twenty five mile day on the trail.  Esspecially if continuing on
'til dark after supper break somewhere back along the trail.   Thus the
tarp/tent seems a good idea, just plant two poles or a quick line from a
branch and maybe push in a couple stakes and bed time. I used a bivy for
many years in the Sierra and now favor the tarp asthe extra sit up room is
way more user friendly.  the nice thing about the bivy is the added warmth,
which I don't see as a necessity unless hanging aroung up in the barren
rocks or around tarn lakes like I was doing a lot where all I need is a
space large enough to lie down, and sometimes barely.  In consistent rain a
bivy can ruin a good time.
So back to tarp/tenting.  Light, simple set up as  the bug netting is always
attached.  I haven't ordered any material yet as I am still contemplating
modified designs.  At this point I am thinking to have netting along the
under side of the front half of the tarp so I can fold it back and will have
grommets tosupport thefron oif the enclosure and thereby add your
stargazing, better ventilation and if damp out can simply set up as the
regular tarp tent.  Even this, or some variation may end up seeming too
involved, or too hard to get in and out.  I'm used to having to crawl
underneath the net anyway, so my net will just be a drape held down withgear
and or a couple handy rocks, and a couple string ties if Iwant it up.
So the things I am focussing on are:
Very light weight
Bug free enclosure (bathtub if you don't like ants)
Simple quick set up (means can be done easily when exhausted, in rain, or in
the dark)
Can safely cook within
Will go the distance
Stargazing is last on the list but that sleeping out under the stars thing
is worth consideration.
I'm sure on bug free nice nights I'd just throw down on top of the ground
sheat and shelter.
That's my two cents...