[pct-l] Another horse to beat: wool vs synthetics?

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Feb 14 15:08:57 CST 2009

Good afternoon, Phil,

My last substantial excursion was from Chester to Etna in July'08.  I say
"substantial" because I live near the PCT and make lots of short training
hikes.  For that summer hike I carried the wool Army glove liners because
they were good enough, and they are cheap.  I usually buy a bundle of 10 or
a dozen at a time.

For a snow section such as an early start from Campo up through the Sierras
I use the OR windstopper "Windy Ridge" model.  I only have one pair of them
so I don't use them for routine or warm weather hikes.

I have fairly small hands but I buy the largest size glove I can find in the
model I like.  Sometimes a task such as pitching a tarp or fording a river
necessitates working without gloves for the dexterity.  When doing so my
hands usually get wet and cold, and trying to poke those wet, stiff hands
into a tight fuzzy gloves is not to my liking.  The wool gloves are somewhat
better in that respect, but no fun either.

When I hike with poles I find my hands get less cold than if they just
dangle in the breeze.  I suppose it's because the hands are actually doing
something to produce heat, and gripping the pole tends to reduce the area
for heat loss.  I can usually get by with gloves that are about 15-20 degs.
less capable if I'm using poles.

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye