[pct-l] Newbie questions from Uncle Billy

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Fri Feb 13 12:55:58 CST 2009

Bill Thoms wrote:
> Questions: Will I be sneered at by the ultralight hikers?

Only those with an attitude problem. If you are enjoying your hike, what
difference does it make to someone else what gear you are carrying? We
just won't teach you the secret handshakes.

> And should spend the $$ to shed some weight?  I like my tent and I
> don’t like bugs.

That is entirely up to you. How much money can you afford to spend? Is
it worth that much to shed some weight? You definitely have room to
shave some pounds, which will make the hike more enjoyable. A 30 lb load
in the Sierra isn't bad. I dropped out before I go that far, but I was
expecting to leave KM with at least 40 pounds to get to MTR.

The difficulty you will have lowering your weight is how much you like
your tent. That is where you have the most potential to lose a couple of
pounds. If you are willing to replace your tent with a tarp/bug net
combination, you could shave off 3 pounds right there.

You could easily lose another pound with a different pack, provided all
your gear fits and you don't expect your total load to go much over 30
pounds for more than a day or two.

It is your hike, your gear and your money. Just keep in mind that
whatever you place in your pack, you will be carrying it a lot more than
you will be using it.