[pct-l] Bivy's, sneering

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 13 17:54:49 CST 2009

Brian wrote:
> My own experience was that it wasn't the natural order of things; perhaps
> was just fortunate in the folks I hung out with, but my sense was that the
> types of people to get hung up that much about gear are the ones less
> likely
> to still be on the trail after the first few weeks.

Ok, I guess I phrased my response badly, but this is essentially what I was
trying to say: don't worry about what other people may or may not think of
you.  You can't control it and it doesn't matter anyway.  Do what works best
for you and hike your own hike.

I do think, after being on the PCT-L for a number of years and doing a
number of section hikes, that there's a certain "pecking order" that tends
to be imposed.  People with ultralight pack weights are assumed to be more
experienced and smarter than people with heavy packs.  Thrus are assumed to
be more skilled and dedicated than section hikers.  Of course, none of that
is necessarily true and we're all better off if we get to know people for
who they actually are rather than just lump them into categories.

I guess I was trying to say that yes, some people will glance at your stuff
and make a snap judgment about who you are.  Too bad for them, and hurray
for the folks who don't do that.

Eric