[pct-l] navigational adjustments for Harrison JMT mapset

David Plotnikoff david at emeraldlake.com
Thu Feb 12 21:31:49 CST 2009

Hello from a longtime list lurker.

As I was reviewing my maps and outline for the coming PCT season, I
noticed something small but significant that had entirely escaped me
in previous years:

If you're switching from NGS Topo! or guidebook maps to the Tom
Harrison mapset for the JMT segment between Whitney and Tuolumne
Meadows (a very common thru-hiker strategy) you'll want to reset your
GPS, your watch, your (fill in device here) to UTM  *and* the 27 NAD
dataset. (Not to wonk out on you here, but the default settings for
most devices are lat/long and 84 dataset.)

I'd muddled through the last time with lat/long on the Harrison maps
with a little 3x5 card homemade cheat-sheet gauge. Only today did I
realize it's better to switch to UTM but it's also imperative to
switch the base settings to 27 NAD as well. It's right there clearly
marked on the Harrison cover sheet, and I'd never put two and two
together before.

Good luck to all in the Class of 2009.

DP

Campo-Manning 2000-2006, again! 2007-?