[pct-l] Newbie questions from Uncle Billy

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 13 16:02:12 CST 2009

Nobody is going to sneer at you.  If they do they have thier own issues.
If you are open to trying different things and saving weight if possible
some of us would probably enjoy trying to convince you that chopping as much
weight as possible really does increase hiking enjoyment.
And that's the issue for some folks.  Section hiking probably depends more
on daily mileages you expect or want to cover.  Are you doing it for the
hiking or also hanging out in camp in cool places.  Me I hike from can see
to can't.  It is all about hiking, period, so the more I can chop weight and
still sleep comfortably and keep myself fed the more I'll enjoy the hiking.
When I go out with my camera kit the focus is very different and thus so is
the style by which I get where I want to shoot film, more retro.  I've got
confused because I like the hiking so much that I've carried my camera gear
all over hell's half acre and suffered a lot of foot pain because of it and
been so blown that making nice images is almost impossible.  So now I try
and differentiate between what I intend if possible.  Last year after a hard
crosscountry camera outing I grabbed my light gear and headed back into the
high country carrying only about 16 lbs for a couple nights.  Wow what a
difference.  Not only was the walking so much more enjoyable, but the images
I made with a light toy camera were better than the high end field camera
kit weighing 8 lbs.
But honestly I don't recall anyone sneering at me whether suffering along
with my frame pack and tripod etc or with my little approach pack and light
trail running shoes.  It's all good.