[pct-l] Tents....I know, I know, beating a dead horse

Bradley Issler bradley.issler at gmail.com
Thu Feb 12 13:11:02 CST 2009

Sorry for bringing this topic up again as I know it has been exhausted to
the extreme.....like most other topics.  However, I have been doing my
research, going back and forth trying to decide on what kind of shelter to
buy and I am still undecided.  The following are the features I would like
to have for my shelter:

Lightweight (obviously).  Preferably around 24oz. or less like the contrail
tarptent, which does not have the next feature I really want:
Ability to be used as just the net without the fly
Bathtub floor

I am 6'1' and will have trekking poles to use for my shelter.

So, I am heavily leaning towards the contrail, or the sublite, except that
you can't use either without the rain fly to stargaze on nice nights while
keeping out pesky insects etc..
I am also considering the gatewood cape/serenity net combo.  This seems like
a good option, even though I don't think I would use the cape as a poncho.

If anyone has any advice, and recommendations for a net/tarp combo I would
sure appreciate it.  Again, sorry for the redundancy.

Can't wait to start this adventure already.  See y'all on the trail.

Brad.