[pct-l] Dogs on PCT - to Mara

Jereen Anderson jereenanderson at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 11 11:22:51 CST 2009

Hello Mara,
While riding the PCT last summer I sometimes came across hikers with dogs. I never saw any dogs that were not well mannered. It would be the owners responsibility to only bring thier dog if that dog will stay with them and would be responsive to their voice commands. You asked about National Parks. I was delighted to meet a lady hiking Section D, which includes Crater Lake National Park. She had a delightful and happy Corgi. Since I was riding my horse, we were on the lower trail, not on the rim trail where horses are not allowed. When entering the park from the south, I don't recall seeing any sign prohibiting dogs, as there is prohibiting bicycles and motorcycles. I should add that if you hike the rim trail at C. Lake  it might well be required that your dog be on a leach. Better check with the Park.
MendoRider/Ed Anderson