[pct-l] dogs on the PCT

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 11 00:11:51 CST 2009

Hi Mara,
Well, you'll have to do the research and see where you can either go around
or?
As far as meeting pups along the trail, it isussually a good experience.
I've had good and bad.  I esspecialy dislike the viscious critters that are
obviously not OK but the owner maintains, once they come along, that the
snarling, teeth showing, ridgid tailed beast is friendly.  At which point I
suggest that I can be too.  That's the bad.  The good is I like those
oocasional doggie fixes and have no problem with the average trail dog
companions.  Lots of folks I've met hiking with thier dogs in the John Muir
Wilderness and elsewhere.  Whether it's good backcountry etiquette kinda
parallels the good and the bad, and if the animal bothers wildlife, that
sort of thing.  I don't promote it, but at the same time don't tell people
what they should do unless they have a threatening animal.  Being harrased
or having to hear dogs bark at anything that moves in the backcountry, and
esspecially up around timberline is bad.  Well behaved pooches that lick
your knees is kinda cool.