[pct-l] Man vs Wild - vs - Survivorman

Jereen Anderson jereenanderson at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 10 20:01:20 CST 2009

From: MendoRider/ Ed Anderson

I've watched Survivorman several times and also tried Man vs Wild a couple of times. I consider Man vs Wild to be off the wall ridiculous. Absolutely unrealistic and even dangerous if someone took any of his stunts seriously and actually tried them. By contrast, Les Stroud in Survivorman demonstrates some good ideas - not unrealistic. No, Stroud does not have a camera crew follow him. He does all his own videos as he goes. A very impressive accomplishment. Yes, he does have a pre-arranged meeting place after 6 days. I think that he also has a Spot locator along for safety, although I'm not certain of this. Look up the SPOT website and you will see that he endorses that product. I brought along a Spot on the PCT and I noticed that many of my hiker-friends also had one.