[pct-l] Fwd: UPS vs USPS

Kathi pogo at zamika.com
Sun Feb 8 13:30:05 CST 2009

I think everyone here is looking up prices on-line right now but I
wanted to relate a resent experience I had for what it's worth.

I often ship via Priority Mail and I recently found out that the little
postal/UPS store that I go to (not the actual post office but one of
those independent businesses) was charging me double for Priority Mail!
They charged me $10.95 for the standard flat rate envelope that is only
$4.95 if you go directly into the post office. Yikes! At the time I said
"wow, that postage has gone up a lot" and the gal just told me that is
the standard price and it is cheaper to use UPS. I needed to get the
item out so I just sent it and then later checked on it. I like to
support my local independent businesses as I am a business owner
myself... but not when they way over charge like that.

Going through that business made the USPS prices seems way out of whack
with the UPS/FedEx prices when in actuality the USPS was much cheaper.

At any rate I thought I'd throw this info out there so if you are
planning on using one of those type of businesses you can compare the
prices so you know. If going USPS it will probably be cheaper to go
directly to their offices.

Happy hiking and planning!
Kathi