[pct-l] UL Packs

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 8 01:10:19 CST 2009

OK so I am re-thinking my backpack and took a look at the Gossamer offerings.
The pack I was intending to use would definately work, but it is 4 lbs.  I've chopped base weight down to 14 lbs with this pack (not including food storage, fuel, or suplimental gear like an ice axe or swim fins).
The pack is the heaviest single piece of gear.  I like Gossamer's concepts and while I prefer a stayed pack, the G4 system pack has a little more volume than thier stayed pack offereings which I like.
If anyone has put some miles on one of these G4's or a similar design I'd like to hear what you think of it and if anyone has some other links for UL pack manufactures please post them.
Dropping 3 lbs would really be nice.
The main reason I am hesitant about the G4 system is I don't sleep well on a foam pad which it works with and would want to carry my Prolite short Thermarest. I wont die if I don't have it, but it makes a huge difference in the quality of rest for me.  On the other hand, I am pondering just getting the G4 and go with a piece of foam sleeping pad in it as suggested and just use it for a comfortable rest seat and use tarp tent poles in it for stays as some folks do.  It would still be considerably lighter than what I already own.
But that's why I am asking as there may be something else out there that suits my needs or wants better.

My goal is to get to a base weight of ten pounds or just a bit under, which may not be possible with the Prolite pad.  I'll be making a comparison of making a light nylon tarp weight compared to my plastic tarp used with a suplimental skeeter net or continuing on with my tarp tent idea.  This may get me about 1/3 lb getting rid of the plastic tarp and using a smaller net and with tarps I just use my hiking poles (which brings up the issue of not needing extra tarp tentpoles to stay the back of a G4 pack and thereby adding weight).  I'll probably knock another 1/4 lb out of my ditti kit.  So there's maybe another 1/2 lb.  With the G4 unstayed then I can approximate my base from 14 lbs down to maybe 10-1/2 lbs.