[pct-l] "buy-as-you-go" strategy and leaving with the pack

Julian Plamann julian at amity.be
Fri Feb 6 01:38:02 CST 2009

So I had been planning on beginning the trail this year May 6th because I
like to hike long days and didn't want to hit KM before mid-June, but now
looking at the snowpack this year, it seems like I won't have a problem with
too much snow even if leaving during the week of the kickoff. This is
exciting news for me because I really wanted to get a chance to meet past
and present hikers. However, I'm wondering if I do leave right with the main
pack, how much is my "buy-as-you-go" strategy going to be screwed up? Am I
likely to find lots of ravaged, empty store shelves, burned-out shells of
buildings and town-folk shuffling the streets in a semi-conscious daze? I
had hoped to only send a single maildrop to Kennedy Meadows or somewhere
near there and maybe only send one or two bounces ahead during the rest of
the trail. Still possible while hiking with the pack? I'm vegetarian if that
makes any difference, but don't mind being occasionally fueled by Nutty Bars
and Snickers when necessary.
Thanks!
Julian