[pct-l] Cross-country off-trail

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Fri Feb 6 00:35:18 CST 2009

Hi, Diane,

I just get concerned that hikers are going to wander off and get themselves
into trouble. The idea of leaving the trail and forging your own way is
exciting, but in practice can be much slower and harder. However, if you can
visualize the route and see that it is largely above timberline, along a
grassy creek, and the destination lake is not far, then go check it out.
I've had the best times exploring new routes to off-trail lakes, finding
campfire rings there (obviously I wasn't the first there and as a ranger had
to remove them and "naturalize" the area), and watching huge fish just
floating about (I tried to catch them with a rudimentary fishing rig to no
avail-ended up throwing rocks at them in frustration!).

Some of the passes discussed, like Alpine Col out of upper Evolution Valley,
are not that easy. But if you have the time (key expression), and want to
link off-trail routes between existing trails, that one is a good shortcut
into Piute Basin, Golden Trout Lake, and trail routes north into the Inyo on
the east side. Just beware of the "bouldering" you may have to do in going
over those off-trail passes and cols.

That's why I prefer to cross them on snow in the early Spring when the snow
is more stable-no huge boulder fields and all is smooth (except for those
darn sun cups!).

Mtnned