[pct-l] Leg Exercises, etc.

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 5 00:10:23 CST 2009

Got a bike?  Seriously.  Ride up some long hills slow but steady.  Start
somewhat easy, and then start pushing a harder gear.  You want to workup a
sweat but not blow up either. Once you get stronger start pushing it more
but keep the heart rate below max.  Then start doing twice a week, shorter
steeper hills.  These would be called interval training.  For these one goes
all out on a half to one mile hill.  Almost to the point of barfing which is
running at or just above max heart rate.  Youdon't really needto go that
hard, but when I was racing I needed to be able to chase down or attack
andcreate a big enough gap to get away and recover before anyone could catch
me, preferably out of sight!  OK we're not racing bikes here, but it is a
great way to build strong legs with endurance.  For a basic cross training
ride go out for two hours over mixed terrain.   I used to hike down mule
packers and set incredible paces going over Sierra Passes when I was riding
competitively and taking hiking trips inbetween.   Weight lifting shocks the
muscles and creates a lot of stiffness. Yeah you'll get stronger, but not
necesarrily create anymore endurance.  That's why I suggest the bike three
times a week for two hours if possible.  Another thing I dobefore going out
into the backcountry, and will start doing a lot longer before this years
adventures is load up a pack with about thirty pounds and go up and down a
long section of stairs.  Up and down; up and down, up and down.  This should
get some burn going.  There used to be the idea in the wieght lift gyms that
more weight and less reps build muscle mass and thus size and strength.
Common number of reps for curling bars and dumb bells would be 8-10 max with
a spotter helping the last one or two.  On the other hand, doing more reps
with less weight is suggested to define the muscles more, being "cut", and
also leans more towards endurance.  Does that make sense?  But I'll tell ya,
when I was really going at it on the bike I had to get a set of two size
larger pants and carried an average 15 more pounds around in them.  I know,
do a buch of lunges and then see if you can walk up staris the next day, hee
hee !