[pct-l] stream crossing near miss

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 4 20:22:49 CST 2009

Because it was rude and completely out of context.  I counted to ten and decided I was about to do the absolute right thing.  Talk on your cell phone all you want, but please do so ina way that does not encroach on others experience, and one of mine is to leave all that and electricity behind.
But honestly if you had been there you might have agreed I did the right thing, and you were not there.  On the other hand, someone might come along when I hurt and help me out because they have a cell phone.  If I had one you'd be welcome to it, esspecially in an emergency.  But this lady was blabbin pretty loud like folks do on cell phones as if New York could here better, and in an absolutley peaceful and pristine setting withother folks around. Rude !  with a capital "R".  But relax, I probably would approach something like that very differently ten years later, a little wiser, and a lot nicer.  I'll have to see if I can find anything I wrote in my journal about that.  I know I wrote down something about running into the group later, and while I left this out, I actually apologized to that lady along the high travese trail just west of Keasarge Pass. The look on her face when she registered who I was was priceless.
And like I said earlier, I ussualy like my trailside encounters with the various personalities I meet from these trips.  Often there will be one or two people struggling for whom a little encouragement and some small advise can be very helpful.  I always try and make time for anyone I meet.  A few seaasons ago, probably five years, I met a lady from the Bay area who had climbed Mt Julius Cesar and lost where she stashed her fanny pack. I met her after she'd gone looking for it and given up.  So I got her info and contiued onup to Italy Pass for my own climb of the peak.  I've been up Cesar three times now, and crossed Italy Pass at least eight times, and there is a natural way folks tend to start up from the pass.  I found her pack imediately without even trying.  I have not the slightest idea how she missed it, but she did.  When I hiked back out after touring acouple of the Bear Lakes and crossing White Bear pass and circling back around I picked up the pack and hauled it out with me, along with her hiking poles that were with it.  I called her frrom Mammoth and said I'd send it from the P.O. down the street right away priority and don't worry about the five bucks, and I could not believe what  a snob she turned out to be. Started insisting I send it UPS next day and wasn't even nice or grateful I packed her stuff out.  So there to me is someone who probably should not have been in the Mtns in the first place.  I sincerely considered tossing the crap in the trash, but I went and sent it and be done with it.  So I wont for a minute consider I am unreasonable.  That was the third time I packed stuff out for people who asked me to if I found it.  How come I can find the stuff and they can't?  I never look very hard either, just naturally find things, things that really should not be lost.
So as not to sound unrealistic, there will always be folks out and about who can use a little help.  If that means confronting them for being absolutely obnoxious on a cell phone, please allow me to be of assistance.  Baby Jesus don't have nothing to do with it unless that's your gig.  I prefer a little Zen.