[pct-l] NEW TOPIC: Leg Curls, Leg Press, leg extensions, lactcic acid - Leg exercises at the gym

Richard Bazley bazleyr at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 04:12:48 CST 2009

Hi Folks

I have started back at the gym as training for my thruhike, starting in April.

My trainer told me that too many leg exercises is not good for hiking and running (I am planning a half marathon on March 15th) as they can lead to lactic acid build up.  He has only put 3 sets on the leg press in my program.

However, was I was training for the AT in 2004, I'm sure I was also doing leg extensions and leg curls in addition to the press.   Was I flirting with disaster?  Or was my trainer wrong and these types of exercises are fine as pre-hike conditionoing.

Regards

St Rick