[pct-l] physiologic effects of icy cold immersion

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 3 21:52:05 CST 2009

Like I suggested here or on another thread, find an alpine lake where you
can jump in fully with an easy get out, and see for yourself how your body
reacts.  I saw a beer can on the bottom of Long Lake (along Bishop Pass
trail) a few years ago.  I had to get in the lake, swim out a little ways
and dive down to get it, swimback and get myself out.  I got it, and I got a
headache.  But it wasn't an enjoyable experience beyond feeling like I did
the right thing.  And while I never felt scarred, I felt like it was very
hard to get a breath.  I been in a lot of lakes.  Marjorie, Darwin chain,
Wanda, Italy, and so many more.  That bathtub ring is probably from me.  I
been surfing for something like thirty years.  I still don't care much for
that feeling of lost control pitching around not knowing which way is the
surface when getting pummeled by big waves.  Being held down in big winter
surf and bouncing off the bottom etc is beyond description (but at least you
then know where youare), but I am still greatly respectful of fast creeks.
That moment of doubt when crossing a big creek can be helpful or hindrence.
I akin it to those times when taking off on a nice big wave and having and
making the mistake of second guessing.  That's ussually not a good ending.
Once commited, go with the flow, be confident and regardless of being
scarred you have business at hand to attend to.  Talk to yourself if need
be.  I had my knees almost buckle crossing a wet log high above the San
Juaquin near Blaney Hot Springs once.  Big log, no worries, "just walk on
Stephen you are good at this."  If there is safer entry to a fast creek like
bear, go out there and see what it's like, and if all good go back and get
your pack.  If confidence isn't there don't do it until help arrives.  Scout
up and down somewhile waiting.  Once I commit I take my mind quickly off the
water and get my pack and shoes ready, stand up, look for my route and go on
with it.  This creek crossing stuff is one reason I havenever tried the PCT
big hike.  I've been in the Sierra too much at all differnent seasons and
snow years to not have some amount of distaste for the promotion of thru
hiking such varying conditions.  Jardine's book actually suggests that under
heavy snow years it may well serve one to cancel until the following year.
He promotes attempting no crossings over the knees and then only when
confident.  People going out and risking thier lives in a place I hold near
and dear has never sat well with me.  I keep hearing thisis supposed to be a
low snow year. Well, last year was a low snow year,and we have varying
statements of how the creeks were flowing.  My experience has been not so
much how much snow, but that's a factor surely, but also similarly important
is periods of heavy snow melt.  And while there may be low snow pack, there
will be snow; it will melt, and sometimes there is late snow like this last
season.  I'm not suggesting don't hike, in fact I encourage it, but do so
with some amount of intelegence.  If the creeks are running good get more
food, hike with others or plan to meet, have a bomb out contigency (bring
extra food or emergency rations for two days).  So far I amplanning to gain
the somewhere south of VVR, but all this creek crossing stuff is making me
nervous, and will eventually cause me to quit the idea again and I wont get
to meet any of you nice folks on my way to Ohrygon.  At least we're off the
poison oak threads.  What else can we come with to kill my confidence.
Maybe I should just start smoking Camels and eating chili fries.
Uhg,
Stephen