[pct-l] PCTA First Mile Campaign -- Congratulations

Mann bmann1 at san.rr.com
Tue Feb 3 21:26:43 CST 2009

Tales of the Trail:  In July, 2008, in a windowless basement room at Manning
Park Lodge, it was gut-check for the PCTA board.  Raise $300,000 in six
months or watch a full mile of the trail pass into less-caring hands.  This
was a one-time opportunity for the Oregon Keene Creek property.  There was
no one else to step in, no government or other private entity would save the
day.  "If we don't raise it all, we can take out a loan signed by individual
board members."  Those were some of the last words before the vote.  Each of
us individually had a lot on the line.  The vote: Unanimous.  None
dissenting.  It was an act of faith.  Bring it on!

What did we know.  Who could imagine that in the next few months all facets
of our economy would line up like dutiful lemmings and march off a cliff.

With sleeves rolled up, Liz Bergeron, Danielle Collins and the rest of the
PCTA staff, after first making their own donations, pulled out all stops to
make this a success.  Board members squeezed their own checkbooks, made
special trips, exhorted friends near and far.  A cornerstone donation was
secured in early September, then in ones and twos, in tens, and finally
hundreds, so many of you made your own act of faith.  So much giving in
these troubled times.  I fielded email responses that included phrases such
as, "I am transferring money from my 401k," or "Hi, Scout, it's a matter of
transferring funds into my checking account which I will do this afternoon."

The last two weeks, we went from $252,000, to $259,000 to $272,000 and then
on last Friday I received a half dozen emails from Danielle, two noting
individual donations of $3,000 and $500.

I do not know which gift put us over the top.  In my mind they all did.
>From the bottom of my heart, with each future step on the trail, I thank
you.  It was a bonnie good thing we all did.

Scout -- Barney Mann, PCTA Fundraising Chair