[pct-l] Mt Whitney permit Change

Bob Bankhead wandering_bob at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 18:30:06 CST 2009

You need to distinguish between those hikers who hold a valid PCTA Thru-Hiker's Permit and the rest of the world.

Without a PCTA thru-hiker permit, you will need a Whitney Zone permit, no matter what trailhead you enter from. That's what the USFS is saying.

Even with the PCTA thru-hiker permit, you will need the Whitney Zone endorsement IF you are planning to exit east over Trail Crest. That's what the PCTA is saying.

With the PCTA thru-hiker permit, you do not need the Whitney Zone endorsement if you intend to go from the PCT to the JMT, up Mt. Whitney, and back down the JMT to the PCT. That's also what the PCTA is saying, due to their special agreement with the USFS.