[pct-l] physiologic effects of icy cold immersion

Will Hiltz will.hiltz at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 10:45:46 CST 2009

There is also a risk in being too blase about the dangers one faces on the
trail.  There were certainly, even in '07- a low snowpack year- dangerous
stream crossings that I encountered and I say this as someone who has
actually hiked in Alaska and crossed raging rivers like you are describing.
Crossing Milk Creek alone at 1pm ranks up there with the sketchier things
I've done and I've done some sketchy things.  I'm not saying to BE TERRIFIED
but a clear-eyed assessment of potential dangers is not fear-mongering, nor
is it unreasonable to consider such things before going out on your hike.
Just my .02... whats the harm in having this info out there???  Probably
less than if everyone just said "oh, its just a hop-across"!

YITOOD,

Easy