[pct-l] unusual creek crossing - - -

Jereen Anderson jereenanderson at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 3 10:45:01 CST 2009

From: MendoRider/Ed
To: markv

I agree with you Mark. The way I did it in 1954 or 1955, one of those years, was not the best choice, but it did work. That knee-deep water was very, very, swift. It did have a fairly smooth bottom. I'm sure removing my pants helped by reducing the resistance. My old Kelty Pack (one of his first, he was working out of his garage when I bought it from him. A residental neighborhood business) would not have been as easy to get out of as todays packs. I first started without the 60# boulder and quickly realized that I just was not heavy enough. I kept my feet about two feet across while crossing. My back-up plan was to be able to quickly ditch both pack and boulder and scramble for the closest bank if my strategy was not working and I could not stay upright. I'd like to mention that no one used hiking poles in those days and I did not have my Ice axe along on that trip. Having either would have helped instead of the boulder.