[pct-l] Thru-hiking on a budget

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 2 15:41:45 CST 2009

I was monetarily challenged on my thru-hike as well. We hiked out to Onion Valley and went into Independence for resupply and then stopped at VVR where our personal trail angel brought our resupplies. VVR was fun because there was a large group of hikers there but was very expensive, even without paying for a room. I understand the reason for it so I am not complaining, just stating the facts.

We also hiked in on an alternate trail that brought us past the dam, and then walked the "normal' route back to the PCT, not using the ferry. I don't remember the name of the alternate route but it was a poor unmaintained trail, the walk back out was fine. When I do it again, I think I will skip VVR and go out at Red's Meadows to Mammoth to resupply.

We got to Red's the day the cafe opened and the shuttle started running, others a few days ahead of us were able to hitch a ride to Mammoth, but there was no food service at Red's.

If you are on a budget, it can be good and bad hiking with a group. It seems to encourage more and longer town stops, as well as more expensive places to stay and eat. However my friends were very generous and a number of times offered to let me stay for free in one of their rooms rather than going back to the trail to sleep. I wasn't trying to yogi but it was too good of an offer to pass up, in spite of feeling guilty for not being able to pay my share.

(Not a rich) Sugar Daddy