[pct-l] Bear can cramming

Rick Ostheimer rick.ostheimer at sbcglobal.net
Sun Feb 1 22:37:07 CST 2009

I'm sure you can get lots of food into a BV450, but why worry about it.
Get the BV500 (the biig one) and take some off trail resupplies.  You
can use it as a handy seat when you cook your meals a couple hours
before stopping for the day.  I never had to carry overe 5 days food and
looked forward to the zero/neros I took when I resupplied.  My
itinerary:  Kennedy Meadows - Kearsarge Pass/Independence/Bishop
(including Whitney summit day), 5 days;  to VVR nero, 5 days; to Reds
Meadow/Mammoth Lakes, 1-1/2 days; to Tuolomne Meadows, 2 days; to Ebbets
Pass/Markleeville (tough hitch) 5 days; to Hwy 50/S Lake Tahoe, 2 days.
I never had to carry more than 5 days food and got to break up the
Sierras with zeros at Independence, Mammoth Lakes, and an overnight nero
in Markleeville.    ---Handlebar