[pct-l] Cramming a BV450 (500) / Canister 'required' areas

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Feb 1 21:19:20 CST 2009

I carried a bear can and an Ursack. I put the toiletries, trash and
whatever food didn't fit in the Ursack. I put the smellier things in
the can. I know people say you could fill a bear can with macadamia
nut butter or cram things to smithereens with a jar, but I never saw
anyone do that. If we could survive on just butter, we'd all pack
sticks of butter and save weight and worry.

Don't forget, there are bear lockers in some places. So if you are
concerned for the bears' safety, you can plan your stops to use the
bear lockers when your food level is too much for the bear can. I
used them.

And for anybody planning their bear can needs who like me last year
had never done a long distance hike, please understand that you are
going to be eating more than you ever thought possible. I actually
thought the Bear Vault Solo would meet my needs, so that is what I
sent myself. It met my boyfriend's needs when he joined me for a few
days, but I needed the Garcia for a 4-day trip (which he brought for
me). How embarrassing to be eating two or three times as much food as
him!

By the way, nobody ever asked to see my bear can. I was chased out of
a campsite by a ranger but nobody ever asked to see bear cans or
permits.