[pct-l] early prediction of Sierra Snow 2010

Postholer public at postholer.com
Mon Dec 28 19:23:24 CST 2009

> Almost without exception, the early season of snowfall
> tends to give the story for the year.

"Almost without exception" is the troublesome part!

Based on the last 9 years that is not an accurate statement. I haven't done
the diligence for the last 30 years, but I will shortly. Even without
looking at 30 years, the "Almost without exception" has already left the
building. Here's a quickie:

4 of the last 9 years started above normal (Jan 1), at most 2 were above
normal on Apr 1 or Jun 1. Your statement is true 33% of the time.

Decide for yourself. Select all years except cur, min, max and look at the
graphs, particularly the southern graph as this is the one that most
concerns hikers: http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/swcchart.action

-postholer

Trail Journals, Google Trail Maps, Forums: http://postholer.com
Pacific Crest Trail Photo Atlas: http://postholer.com/photoAtlas.php