[pct-l] banner resupply?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Dec 28 09:34:54 CST 2009

On Dec 27, 2009, at 10:07 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I'm resupplying as i go. i was planning on heading into Julian,but
> if i detour to the springs in chariot canyon, I'd be only 1.4 miles
> from banner, about a 40 minute walk.. anyone been there? maybe give
> me an idea of what kind of supplies i can expect to find.

It's not that many days from the border to Warner Springs. I'm not
sure it is necessary to resupply anywhere between the border and
Warner Springs. Many people go to Laguna and/or Julian, but neither
are necessary. From what I remember in the guide book, Banner
somewhere you might be able to go get water and help and there might
be a restaurant or something.

> let me answer both questions
> you resupply in Mt. Laguna and than you head into Julian, why would
> you want another resupply?

You don't even need either of these two stops.

> im resupplying as i go. im not getting a mail drop in warner
> springs and i know it`s very limited..im going down chariot canyon
> anyway. from the springs it`s only a short hike to banner. if i can
> get 3-4 days of food i don`t have to hassle going to julian.

If you are not sending a package, you can probably make do with
buying your food at Laguna and Warner Springs. There is also a hiker
box behind the post office in Warner Springs. Add a big sandwich or
some other portable food from the golf restaurant if you have to.

> Most everyone leaves at kickoff, don't they?

No, most everyone does not. A large portion of people at the kickoff
are already weeks ahead on the trail and they've just come back to
enjoy the kickoff. Others are planning to start much later. And many
don't know anything about the kickoff and don't attend (that was me
in 2008.)

> i also wan`t to avoid the misguided do gooders who think we hikers
> are such fragile flowers that they need to "help"us by leaving
> water.i want to do the trail on it`s own terms,thats one of the
> attractions of the trail for me .

You are not going to be able to avoid the water caches and other
things on the trail no matter when you leave, unless you go right
now, and even then I'll betcha there are still water caches out
there. You are better off finding a form of acceptance for these
things. You do not need to take water from a cache or take a ride
that is offered or stay at any trail angel's house. You will be much
happier if you can just accept that these things are part of the
trail and leave them be than to make them a huge a part of your hike
as some kind of anti-hike thing.

Good luck!