[pct-l] banner resupply?

Scott Bryce sbryce at scottbryce.com
Sun Dec 27 23:09:40 CST 2009

Bob Vance wrote:
> you resupply in Mt. Laguna and than you head into Julian,

Why? Unless you need to go into Julian for water. Mt Laguna to Warner
Springs is only 3 1/2 days of hiking.

The only other reason I can see to go into Julian is if the store at Mt
Laguna is picked over, and you expect the mini mart at Warner Springs to
be picked over as well.

> im resupplying as i go. im not getting a mail drop in warner springs
> and i know it`s very limited.

Well, yes, but at the time you plan to be there, you won't have a lot of
other people buying food in Warner Springs.

> Most everyone leaves at kickoff, don't they?

A lot of people do. Most everyone? I think that is overstating the  case.

> not me.im planing on leaving around the end of may. i want to avoid
> the pack at all costs.

You don't need to leave that late to avoid the pack. In 2008 I started
my Campo to Paradise Cafe hike one week after the kickoff, and pretty
much had the trail to myself. I did meet with other hikers, but
generally it was only maybe two or three per day, except at town stops.
I took a long break at Scissors Crossing, and only met with one other
hiker while I was there.

> when i have to hitch out for supplies,i don`t want to have to compete
> with 20 others trying the same thing.

I was in Warner Springs for 4 days (injuries), and I don't think I saw
20 hikers come through town the whole time.

> i also wan`t to avoid the misguided do gooders who think we hikers
> are such fragile flowers that they need to "help"us by leaving water.

You don't have to take water from the caches. Just walk on by.

> i want to do the trail on it`s own terms, thats one of the
> attractions of the trail for me .

If the San Felipe Creek is dry when you get to Scissors Crossing, you
may change your mind about that. I did.