[pct-l] Resupply strategies

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 24 00:30:51 CST 2009

Yes.  Fig Newtons pack a wollop, and a Snickers has it all over a Power Bar.  And peanut butter is peanut butter; I wouldn't try and compare it to dehydrated anything.
Correct me if I am wrong, but I think two fig newtons have as much calories as a cliff bar and similar pre-fab snacks.  I've been using fig newtons as an energy snack going back to my bicycle training days and I used to eat regular food wherever possible, still do.  Dehydrated stuff just doesn't have the fuel power to run my high metabolism, nor have I ever really found anything that can beat a swipe of peanut butter and some sort of jelly wiped on a b read substance that can power me up over a high pass in the Sierra the way good old PB & J.  You can't get fat from dehydrated foods either.  I tried some freeze dries and dehydrated foods again this last summer and basically I got convenience, and easy prep, but I didn't much like the way I felt the next day compared to when I pack everyday foods and eat better.  Might as well just eat Ramen.  Instant oatmeal and crap like that will stave off hunger, but you might as well eat the package too for all it's worth.  When I make oatmeal I add dried milk, dried fruits like cranberries and blue berries, and a hunk of brown sugar with any nuts I can scrounge out of my snack bag.  Way better, but still just a sugar bomb that will leave one lagging not far down the trail.