[pct-l] Resupply strategies

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 21:38:54 CST 2009

I really have to agree with this statement.  I resupplied about 1/2 of my
trip from mail.  I found that I got tired of the meals I bought on the way
and not the ones I shipped to myself (with the exception of 1 meal I shipped
4 of - each time I liked it less and by the fourth time I tossed it).   I
made sure I had a lot of variety in what I shipped myself.  I never had more
than 6 of the same meal total - so I rarely had the same thing more than
once a month.

If you are shipping yourself meals I recommend 4 source for ideas:  1 )
meals you like at home (just dehydrate them), 2) Lip Smacking Backpacking (a
book - check your local library), 3) www.onepanwonders.com  (the book is
very good too), 4) www.freezerbagcooking.com (even if you don't use the bag
method).

I could, but will not eat what a lot of thru hikers survive on.  And yes I
even had Ramen noodles on my trip - but only once.

Having a good meal was such a pleasure.

I did come the the conclusion that I could probably resupply the whole trip
on the way - but there would be a lot of times I would have to just choke
down the meals or at the least just not be very satisfied with them.

YMMV

Day-late