[pct-l] snow shelters

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Tue Dec 22 14:51:06 CST 2009

Hi, Rick!

Thanks for signing up for one of our free Snow Travel Training Courses! Consider yourself and wife enrolled!

Regarding the type of tent to bring for the Course, you should read our thoughts on the subject at http://postholer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725 in an article called, "To Tent or Not To Tent."

In a nutshell, the type of shelter you choose depends on the degree of comfort you want. We have seen tarps and tarptents on our Snow Courses perform perfectly well until the snow starts dumping, but these shelters were not designed to hold a snow load like tents who's poles cross over the top (four season variety). Also, the more cold air you can block from blowing into your tent while camping on the snow, the warmer you will be (you may have seen some comments recently regarding this). You can offset this cold air issue with a good down parka and and gloves and an excellently rated sleeping bag, but it's so nice to be able to get out of the cold and into a roomy, double-walled tent where you can move around, change clothes, or cook a meal without having to remain layered up like the Pillsbury Dough Boy!

In our Snow Course Description http://postholer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=736, we encourage our students to bring the shelter of their choice so they can decide if it works for them in the snowy environment of the training trip. In the "To Tent or Not To Tent" article,  we recommend what works and leave the actual choice to the aspiring thru hiker to decide based on their individual desires and goals for their thru hike.

During the Preparation phase of a thru hike, the most important things to learn and realize is "what do I want to get out of my hike" and "what is important to me regarding what I eat, carry, and do on my hike." You need to know yourself well enough to make these decisions at this point. If not, they may be made for you on your actual hike through the trials and tribulations you will go through. To resolve this, take many pre-trip hikes of varying lengths up to 2 or 3 weeks, testing your "systems" of menu, equipment, clothing, hiking style and preferred habits, resupply details, and daily mileage abilities. This way you get to know what you want to get out of your once-in-a-lifetime hike based on what "works" for you. Therefore, there is no concern of "cheating" regarding testing out what "works" for you!

See you soon!

Ned & Juliee Tibbits
Mountain Education
South Lake Tahoe, Ca