[pct-l] Oregon snow in June/July

ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com
Tue Dec 22 14:14:27 CST 2009

I have no idea, from a statistical point of view. I have always wondered.
Maybe someone on this List can find out. Any takers?

When we were training in the Tahoe area the winter before we left, there was
28 feet of snow between Alpine Meadows and Squaw Valley Ski Areas. At least
in this respect, there was above average snow there! I was 17 years old and
didn't pay any attention to weather patterns or accumulations prior to
departure. I don't even know if this information was available back in 1973.

Hey Postholer! Do you have any info on this year?

When we entered the Sierra, west of KM, the Kern Plateau had 3 to 4 feet of
snow in all the meadows like Big Whitney Meadow below Siberian Pass.
Throughout the Sierra, there was no visible trail anywhere and the creek
crossings were not bad, yet. The seasonal thaw had not started. Between Echo
Lake and Sierra City there was still 3 to 5 feet and we could not see Lake
Aloha at all (June First and on). NoCal was all snow fields, but the river
crossings and major reservoirs were below snowline, so we were beginning to
get a break from two months of snow walking. We re-entered the snow-zone in
Oregon.

Mtnned