[pct-l] Skipping, skipping and more skipping

Paul Mitchell bluebrain at bluebrain.ca
Tue Dec 22 01:08:06 CST 2009

Hi Bigtoe

I'm throwing myself out here way too much today, but here's one more 'cause
this is a topic I've thought about a fair bit after my attempted thru-hike
in 07.

My experience has been that these things (doing the trail continuously, not
skipping, sense of accomplishment, etc) feel important when planning, but
for me personally they quickly seem progressively more inconsequential once
I'm out there.  My goal has been a 100% continuous hike with zero skipped
miles the two times I've tried and I still want to achieve that, but each
time the further I've gone the less important that's seemed, and in fact,
it's often contrary to the optimal experience.  I've been at many, many
crossroads on the trail (literally and figuratively) where the choice to
continue down the PCT in a continuous line has been at the cost of a much
more appealing and enriching alternative.  It's my perspective that pure
thru-hiking is one of the less enjoyable ways to experience the trail - the
sense of accomplishment or a competitive desire to achieve the goal is
really the only compelling reasons I can think of to finish.  Otherwise, it
would absolutely make for a more enjoyable summer to be more flexible, go
where the weather is most ideal, take side trips with friends along the way,
spend more time in the best towns and longer afternoons at the prettiest
lakes.

My two bits (for what they're worth, maybe 1.5 bits) is to not worry much
about the idea of accomplishment - it really isn't the true value of the
experience once it's done.

As for the pack, I think the value of meeting and socializing with all the
great characters out there, the camaraderie - it's been a huge part of my
experience.  There are some who might enjoy the trail more if they had it
all to themselves, but the "pack" is full of all sorts of great new friends,
great stories, great experiences.  Going south, missing out on that, for me
that would be a huge loss.  That pack thins and spreads out quite quickly
too, there's plenty of solitude to be had as the summer progresses.

Cheers!
P178