[pct-l] base pack weight

Stephen Adams reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 21 20:00:44 CST 2009

My tarp, huge skeeter net with room for two easily, and tyvek ground sheet including all the guy lines I take, I think adds up to 1-1/2 lbs.  And that's a heavy plastic 5x8 tarp I have been using until I decide on something lighter like cuben or silnylon?
Which is a half lb lighter than my OR advanced bivy.  I hike with one kit or the other depending on what I'm doing.  The bivy does add a lot of warmth, but don't really need it from July thru Sept.  I have two tents and haven't used either one in years and got them out and aired them out recently thinking I might use one for some cold weather hiking and just put them away again.  Even light tents do not come anywhere near various tarp rigs...
Light weight hiking is a philosophy and it starts with the pack, then the sleeping gear and shelter on down the line thru the kitchen and bathroom etc...  You don't need to be an ultra lighter to enjoy light hiking.  But I think if someone wants to start chopping weight off, it is good to get some experience to go along with the ideas they wish to employ, even if it's just weekend get aways to try out gear and get in a cool hike.