[pct-l] base pack weight

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Dec 20 22:17:36 CST 2009

Good evening, JB,

One of my friends, Yogi, has a saying, “We pack for our fears.”  It must be
that I don’t fear a lot because my “average” PCT base weight is 8.4 lbs.
based upon a spreadsheet containing the exact weights of every item from a
postal scale, or in the case of very small items, from a powder scale.  I
weigh every item, regardless of how small.  It’s not that I care so much
about the weight of a postage stamp; it’s just that a print of my
spreadsheet is also the check-off list that I use to assure I don’t forget
anything.  I include trekking poles – if I take them – in what I wear rather
than as base weight.  Base weight also includes everything in the little
waist pack that I use in lieu of pockets.

I’ve hiked with as little as 4.7 lbs. but that necessitates leaving home a
few items that I want – like my camera.  If I bought a few new, ultralite
items I could probably get down close to 4 lbs. but that’s about the bottom
for me.  That would be appropriate for about 50% of the trail in good
weather.

In the first 20-25 preparation pages of my TrailJournal
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/ I discuss every item and include
its weight.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye