[pct-l] what does 2 pounds mean

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 18:04:18 CST 2009

On my 2008 southbound hike I ate around 2800 - 3000 calories a day.  Pretty
low according to everything that I read.  But after hiking 25 - 30 mile days
for several months, I ended up *gaining 3 pounds!* I didn't have much
pre-hike fat to lose either (I only weigh 140 lbs and I'm 6' 2"... I look
like a marathon runner or a thin basketball player).

Apparently I'm a pretty "energy efficient" hiker    :)

- which reminds me - I'm also an ultra-light hiker, so that might have
played a role too.  I suppose it makes sense that you burn many more
calories when you carry a lot more gear.

My base packweight was just over 8 pounds.

I really listen to the phrase "HYOH" when it comes to food.  I ate a packet
of multi-vitamins every day, ate a ton of freeze dried food, and four 'bars'
(candy bars, energy bars, protien bars, etc) every day.  My only regret: I
should have bought the King Size bars... the regular size just never quite
cut it...

:)

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in and say that - all science aside - if
you're a healthy eating person as it is - then I'd just pack whatever yout *
think* will make you happy on the trail.... then add at least 50% more.  :)

Happy trails,

Austin