[pct-l] Not treating water on the PCT

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 18:58:07 CST 2009

Thanks for the info.  I've actually hiked the PCT (southbound) in 2008.  I
also used Aqua Mira (and *loved* it).  I'm not worried about weight (my pack
wieght is basically zilch as it is, you know?).  But I ran into Scott
Williamson on the PCT that summer and he told me he didn't treat his
water...

... then I started thinking.... people have been going without treating
their water for millions of years.... here I am being careful to treat every
drop with chemicals before I cautiously sip it down.... and then I envision
Scott, freely and fearlessly scooping up bottle-fulls of pristine
back-country water (the stuff the water bottle companies wish they were
bottling) and drinking heartily from Mother Earth's bountiful springs
without a care in the world.  Whistling - in fact - as he casually strolls
by us pitiful, fearful, sorry little water-treating creatures.

Okay, I'm being mellow-dramatic  :D  But I think you get the point.  It just
blows my mind that I can be so fearful of water.  *Water!*
So I just had to check if anyone actual *has* gotten sick from drinking the
water along the PCT.  Now I know people have...

I think I've decided that I'll bring Aqua Mira with me, but only use it when
my eyes and nose tell me I should.  The rest of the time I'm going to stick
my face in and drink from the rivers and streams like a moose.  If I get
sick, I'll let ya know.  :)

Thanks again for the info.

-Austin