[pct-l] Not treating water

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Wed Dec 16 18:17:50 CST 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Thomas Jamrog <balrog at midcoast.com> wrote:
> The difficulty is that it takes approximately 10 days for giardiasis symptoms to appear ...<snip>.... All it takes is  just one cyst. <

I think 10 cysts is the number the researchers use for evaluating
municipal water systems. Since chlorination doesn't kill the cycsts,
they are present in small numbers in many water systems..

Lots of good information here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giardia_lamblia

Personally, I don't treat most water, but I carry tinidazole
(Tindamax) (available in Mexico for about US$1 for a course) just in
case, it is much easier on your system, and much quicker acting that
Flagyl, (metronidazole). I've never used it.

http://www.tindamax.com/For_Patients/Giardiasis/