[pct-l] Not treating water

jomike at cot.net jomike at cot.net
Wed Dec 16 16:06:05 CST 2009

Scott Williamson doesn't treat his water on the PCT.  I understand the
dangers of  not treating water (read about it a gazillion times).  I'm
familiar with all the disclaimer advice.  I just want to know: has anyone
here ever caught any 'bugs' by drinking untreated water *on the PCT*? (I'm
not concerned about other trails).

If so, what part of the trail did you catch it in?

Thanks,

I wish it were that easy (particular locations being avoided) but it's not, or, in a way, I also suppose it is.

The popular opinion of this day and age is that most "Guardia" is not Guardia. It is various stomach, digestive tract up sets for a multiple of reasons, mainly due to careless food handling and sharing of food/water and in general exceedingly filthy hands.

So wash often as possible; don't let another put their hands in your food source; don't drink from another's food bottle and treat where it is obvious to treat, i.e., in areas where cattle and/or horses are grazing, etc.

Read more about it in the archives; there has been a ton of talk in the past.

are we there yet