[pct-l] Stove Canisters

virgil virgil at baloney.com
Tue Dec 15 01:11:42 CST 2009

On Wednesday 09 December 2009 12:54:26 Spring wrote:
> Gee, ain't this list great?  I ask a simple question about where are
> canisters available... We'll argue the question about shipping later, but I
> will tell you that REI, etc stopped shipping canisters last summer because
> of new regs that say it can't be done.

You are, perhaps, referring to this?

" Loss of HazMat Exemption Raising Shipping Costs for Small Fuel Canisters
                              As published in OIA WebNews 8/12/2009

Retailers may want to bulk up their orders of 4-fluid-ounce isobutane/propane
fuel canisters in the wake of a recent Department of Transportation (DOT)
decision that raises the cost of small shipments dramatically. They may want
to reassess their online sales of the popular canisters for the same reason."

http://www.outdoorindustry.org/pdf/HazMatExemptionsFuelWN081209.pdf

I notice many of the online stores are still offering the 4oz cannisters but I
suppose its only a matter of time before the DOT goes after them.

--
"I came into this game for adventure - go anywhere, travel light, get in, get
out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone."

Robert De Niro as Harry Tuttle in Brazil.