[pct-l] Halfmiles maps and other recourses (or "Why I prefer the PCT Atlas")

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Mon Dec 14 21:00:06 CST 2009

> Any other takes on this subject I would be interested to hear.

I'm a map freak who also happens to be obsessed with the PCT...
Here's my two cents worth on some of the comments by Ryan and Len...

> The people with the PCT Atlas seemed to be somewhat pleased, but much of the data didn't match...the water report and the data book.
> ...for some reason the data in the atlas and the water report mileage don't match.  (Ryan)
> The landmarks and their elevations seem to be sourced from the DB.  (Len)

If I recall correctly, when Halfmile first started his maps, he had to make some "adjustments" in his data to match the so-called 'official' PCT mileages...
The PCT Atlas probably did NOT make any data 'adjustments' to match the Data Book - and IMHO, the difference is slight overall (and therefore irrelevant)...
Many on this list should recall that in 2005 roughly half the thrus used the new 4th edition Data Book (2005) while the other half used the 3rd edition (2001), or even older...
The mileage difference between those Data Book editions didn't seem to upset nor affect the 2005 thrus too much...  I don't recall any mass confusion complaints back then...
The mileages are more discrepant between the Data Book 3rd & 4th editions than between the newest Data Book and the PCT Atlas -
0.14% versus 0.03% over the length of the PCT...  Not much to worry about in either case...
Don't forget that there have been some reroutes since 2004, also, so trail mileages 'might' actually be more accurate in the PCT Atlas - even if they aren't "official"...
(BTW, does everyone know that the "halfway" marker before Hwy. 36 is NOT at the halfway point anymore?)
I don't see where the landmarks and elevations used in the Atlas are "sourced" from the Data Book - major landmarks are simply major landmarks(!)...
The PCT Atlas uses fewer, but obvious landmarks, and all elevations are rounded to 50' intervals (BTW, "elevation" read out on any GPS unit is the 'weakest' and doesn't
have near the accuracy as the lat/long readings)...
Since the water reports use Data Book mileages, the PCT Atlas mileages aren't the 'same' - but the water SOURCES are the same...  Barrel Spring would still be Barrel Spring!

> ...the elevation charts (PCT Atlas) are just as misleading as what you might infer from the DB.  ...flat-as-a-pancake for several miles...  (Len)

Maybe if there were fold out pages with expanded elevation coverage, the so-called PUDs would show up much better - but if you look closely at the topo maps, one can see there
would be 'some' ups and downs...  But then the Atlas would no longer be as compact and light, either...
At that point in CA, and still being in CA, anxious to get to a 'new', different state - I'll probably complain too! (even though that's my old home 'turf'!!)   ;-)

> Landmark mileages (Atlas) don't match the official either.  The variance starts out small...(goes) up to 4.5 miles...shrinks to a .2 variance...then starts expanding again...
> This made it a real PITA matching water and other comments in the Yogi book to the Atlas.

True - but I've done my 'homework' already - ahead of time...  I've compared the various reports and books, and will make notes in the Atlas 'IF' needed...
As insinuated before, a landmark (including water sources) is still the same landmark to be found on a map - no matter what mileage value you want to call it...
I have used Google Earth with the USFS PCT traces to 'placemark' water sources and important landmarks, and added 'paths' for the obvious reroutes not shown on the latest trace
and some possible/probable/definite alternate routes I'll take - in effect, I have memorized much of the trail by repeatedly seeing it in Google Earth as I have added these notations...
Regarding "PITA" - please see signature below!  ;-)

> ...the Atlas defines sections differently from the official.

There's that "official" again...  But - that was my first thought, also, when I bought the SoCal 1st edition...
Each volume of the Atlas has 'chapters': A through G or A through F, each chapter ending at a logical resupply access per and/or for the author...
The "official" segment designations don't make sense in some cases, either - such as "G" ending at Crabtree Meadows - and don't forget that CA "R" is the same as OR "A"...
If one wants to pass along trail info, it doesn't take long to memorize the "official" segments (one could also simply write them in the Atlas on one of the 'notes' pages, too!)...

> There is some sentiment...that the Oregon Skyline Trail is often a better path to follow than the PCT.  Neither the Atlas...can help you with that.  (Len)

The PCT Atlas does show many alternates, though some of those aren't 100% shown - just the trail junctions and part of the alternate...  If interested in an alternate - one can
do the 'homework' ahead of time to cover that area...

> The price of the Atlas is a little rough as well.  (Ryan)

True - but it takes quite a bit to get a 'limited' quantity publication in 'color' produced - and the PCT has a very limited audience...

I look at the PCT Atlas as an important piece of gear - just as important as my pack, sleeping bag, or shelter...
The Atlas is all I will CARRY to 'guide' me while on the trail - no 'official' guidebooks or data book for me on the trail (though I have them in my 'library', and have read them)...
The addition of the latest water report in SoCal and maybe a Halfmile (or my own from NG TOPO! software) map or two in select locations will be more than sufficient...
But each person has to decide what THEY 'need' to carry and use - there's no correct or wrong decision (unless you take nothing, IMHO!)...
YMMV, HYOH, etc. ...

I also would like to again thank Halfmile for providing an additional resource for PCT 'planning'...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA) Payne

Support the Pacific Crest Trail Association and its mission:
Protect, preserve, and promote the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail...
Join, renew, or donate today: http://www.pcta.org/

"You may never know what results come of your action, but if you do nothing there will be no result."  - Mahatma Gandhi