[pct-l] GPS on the PCT

Postholer public at postholer.com
Sun Dec 13 23:24:47 CST 2009

> I've gathered so far that there are two kinds of data that I can load into
> my GPS: tracks and waypoints.

Think of a track as a trail of bread crumbs or footsteps. Coordinates in a
track are very close together, ie, 10, 20, 50 feet, etc.

Waypoints are a collection of landmarks. These coordinates are typcially
much farther apart than track coordinates, ie, a road crossing, creek
crossing, ridgetop, trail junction, etc, might be way points, maybe a
quarter mile or miles (or whatever) apart.

Directionally it doesn't matter what end you start from, they are in
consecutive order.

If you look at the postholer PCT map (http://postholer.com/gmap/gmap.php),
the PCT trail trace (track) is a collection of closely spaced coordinates,
257,000 of them! Where as waypoints you might have a few thousand for the
whole trail.

Unless you're going to hiking in extensive snow or just want to collect data
from your trip, a GPS really is unnecessary for the PCT.

-postholer
Trail Journals, Google Trail Maps, Forums: http://postholer.com
Pacific Crest Trail Photo Atlas: http://postholer.com/photoAtlas.php