[pct-l] Barefoot hiking

Rick Donahue anutherrick at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 14:38:40 CST 2009

Hello Potential 178,

I've been running in a minimalist way since reading "Born To Run" about 3
months ago. I try to do some
barefoot running in every run to give me the correct feedback on how to land
properly but gave up trying
to run only barefoot. I've stubbed toes on too many stumps and roots and
rocks and landed on too many
acorns under leaves, etc. Just too many injuries that I decided I needed at
least some protection for the
bottom of my feet. Even the Tarahumara run in huaraches made from sections
of old tires. I guess my
question is why not consider just walking in some kind of sandal like the
huarache for protection. Otherwise
a single puncture or misstep could end your hike. Get yourself a nice old
Michelin M+S tire to give
yourself some protection and traction. Good luck whatever you decide.

--Rick