[pct-l] Blisters and more.

Jim Bravo jimbravo at wildblue.net
Fri Dec 11 14:34:20 CST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sean Carey" <seanpct at gmail.com>

> I am wondering how in the world can I better prepare or treat blisters
> before hand or while on the trail???

Sean:

In addition to the good advive already offered (esp. large toebox and an
added pair of thin nylon socks) I have found that wearing a board-lasted
shoe blisters my feet no matter what. The stiffer the forefoot of the shoe,
the worse the blisters. When I would switch to a shoe that had a slip-lasted
forefoot (toe-box area) the problem would go away. Looking back now, I
remember that when I was younger I often wore Hush Puppies backpacking
instead of boots, without any foot issues. People thought I was a kook.

Combination-lasted shoes work the best for me: board-lasted in the rear for
stability, and slip-lasted in front. I think it has to do with 2 things:
better cushioning, and better torsional movement of the shoe, and therefore
the foot. Everyone has a favorite shoe, mine being the Asics Kayano: a
solid, well-ventilated street-runner.

Hope this helps,
JB