[pct-l] PCT Barefoot

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Dec 11 09:59:29 CST 2009

Good morning,

I will second Ellen’s comments.  Primitive people eschewed footwear most of
the time because making such was difficult and time-consuming, and in
day-to-day activities around the camp or the village protection wasn’t
really necessary.  If their feet became worn or sore they just walked less.
When a longer trip was necessary, such as during a migration or when on an
extended hunting trip, they used footwear of some sort; but those trips
certainly weren’t 2,663 miles in length – they were maybe 100-200 miles.   Here
is a good example of such footwear from about 10,000 years ago.  They are
from an area in Oregon about 50 miles east of the PCT:
http://www.uoregon.edu/~connolly/FRsandals.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Rock

Ray Jardine advocated occasionally hiking barefoot, but he seems to have
always worn clothing.  Colin Fletcher advocated occasionally hiking naked,
but he seems to have always worn shoes.  Oh my, oh my…. What are we to
believe?

Steel-Eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye
http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09